Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Examination related FAQs
- I am a foreign national. Am I eligible to apply for JAM 2023 ?
- Yes, JAM 2023 is open to foreign nationals.
- Do I need to have a minimum percentage to be eligible to appear for JAM 2023 Examination ?
- No. Please refer the Eligibility Requirements.
- Is there any age limit to appear for JAM 2023 ?
- No. There is NO age limit to appear for JAM 2023.
- Are there any restrictions on the number of times one can appear for JAM ?
- No. One can appear for the JAM examination any number of times.
- I have made mistake in filling my Category OR Date of Birth OR Name OR Parent's/Gauardian's Name OR College Name OR Degree OR Year of Graduation OR ... (some other field). How do I fix it?
- JAM 2023 application portal will allow editing of data after scrutiny. Wait for the announcement of defective applications. Some changes may require you to pay additional fees. Refer Section of the Information Brochure.
- Do I have to pay some fees to rectify defects?
- There is No fee for fixing the defects identified during scrutiny.
- Is filling an Indian mobile number mandatory for JAM application?
- Yes, candidates need to fill a 10-digit mobile number while filling the application form. If you don’t have an Indian mobile number, fill an Indian number of a friend or relative. All information and updates will be sent by SMS to this number and also to the registered e-mail.
- Is it possible to submit the application without verifying the mobile number?
- Yes. But you must verify the mobile number after submitting the application. However, you will have to verify the registered email id with the OTP. Verification of either mobile number or email id is mandatory to submit the application. Note that no communication would be sent to unverified email or unverified mobile number.
- I have already paid my application fee. However, the JAM 2023 application portal shows that the payment is not done.
- Please logout of the JAM 2023 application portal and login after some time to check if the payment is reflected. If not, email the JAM Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I have successfully submitted my application for a JAM paper. I want to appear for one more JAM paper. How do I make this change?
- Login to JAM 2023 application portal and click on “Add Paper” and choose from the list and pay the applicable fee. A candidate can appear for a maximum of two papers in JAM 2023.
- I belong to OBC(NCL)/EWS category. Where should I upload my category certificate?
- Only SC/ST/PwD candidates, who are eligible for concession in the application fee are required to upload the category certificate during the submission of application for JAM examination.
Admission related FAQs
1. I do not have the marksheet for 3rd year (or 5th and/or 6th Semester) or degree certificate. What should I do? You will be able to submit your application without these documents. However, you will have to specify the subjects in the Declaration Form. You have to sign the duly filled Declaration Form. All other documents required for admission are mandatory. 2. What is the deadline for the submission of documents, in case I am unable to submit them along with my application to admission? Documents which are not submitted to the Organizing Institute during registration should be submitted on or before September 1, 2023 (please verify the date with admitting institute) failing which the Admitting Institute may cancel your admission. 3. Due to COVID 19, I do not have a marksheet for certain semester(s). What should I do in this case? You must submit a document to this effect duly certified by the Head of the Institution in lieu of marksheet(s). The document should explicitly mention the subjects taken in that semester/year, to evaluate the MEQ requirements for admission to a specific programme.
4. How to know the opening and closing ranks of different programmes of last year (JAM 2022)? This information will be available in the application portal. New programmes added as part of JAM 2023 will not be having such information displayed in the admission form. Note that the name of some programmes (with same programme code mentioned in JAM 2022) may have changed in JAM 2023. This information is also available in JAM 2022 website. 5. How many preferences can I fill in the admission form? There is no limit to the number of preferences that you can provide. All programmes eligible for the test paper(s), where you have scored marks above the cut-off, can be chosen.
6. I have already paid my application fee. However, the JAM 2023 application portal shows that the payment is not done. If the payment of application fee is successful, it will automatically be reflected in the JOAPS portal. If the payment is not reflecting, please logout of the application portal and login after some time to check if the payment is reflected. If the payment is not reflecting, you need to pay the application fee again before the last date of application. In case your payment is not reflecting, consult your bank if a refund is not received within seven working days. Refer https://jam.iitg.ac.in/payment-query.html.
7. Are category certificates issued in the regional languages accepted? Category certificates issued in regional languages are accepted, if they are signed by competent authorities as mentioned in the JAM 2023 admission brochure. 8. I am not able to submit my category certificate. Will I still be eligible to avail the reservation? Candidates seeking admission under OBC-NCL/EWS/SC/ST/PwD categories must submit a valid category certificate issued by a competent authority as specified in the admission brochure, failing which they will NOT be considered for admission under the reserved category. 9. What should be the date of issue of OBC-NCL/EWS certificate? Do I need to get the OBC-NCL/EWS certificate for current financial year? The date of issue of the OBC-NCL/EWS certificate must be after April 1, 2022 for consideration during the admission round. However, it is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure that their category remains unchanged at the time of joining the admitting institute, failing which their admission may stand cancelled. You are suggested to have OBC-NCL/EWS certificate for the current financial year before joining the admitting institute. Please consult the admitting institute for their requirements. 10. Can I change my category during filling of the admission form? What documents I need to submit? Category Change is not permitted while filling the admission application form. If you have a genuine reason, please send an email to email@example.com. with valid reason and supporting documents. The subject of the email should be "Request for Category Change".